In this Fanteam Premier League 1M article, we will do an in-depth Chelsea Fantasy preview. We will cover what changed during the offseason, what do we expect from them, and which players to pay attention to while building your Premier League squad.
This article is part of our Fanteam Premier League 1M Fantasy previews. Check out our Fantasy analysis for all 20 Premier League teams.
19/20 in a glance – Chelsea
Last year was an interesting one for Chelsea. A new manager and many new pieces in the team shook the chemistry a lot during the early season. Over time, the team found the way and started performing well before and after the lockdown. Azpiliqueta performed amazingly well from the defense, finishing among the top defenders in the league. Willian was amazing in the last part of the season, scoring or assisting many of the goals. In the Forward spot, Abraham was disappointing, with Giroud coming up big after the restart and filling his void.
Transfer Activity – Chelsea
- Timo Werner (10.0M – FOR)
- Hakim Ziyech (8.5M – MID)
- Ben Chilwell (5.5M – DEF)
- Thiago Silva (5.5M – MID)
- Kai Havertz (8.5M – MID)
- Trevoh Chalobah
What to expect for 20/21 – Chelsea
Chelsea is by far the most transformed team during the offseason. They lost their star, Willian, but added five top-class players to revamp the team, with all of them expected to start and have a key role. Chelsea is right behind Liverpool and Manchester City for the title, but don’t have great hopes to reach that level, at least for now.
The fantasy situation of Chelsea is unsure at the moment. We don’t know how much chemistry has found until now, and what the game plan is for the long term. Timo Werner (10.0M – FOR) seems to be the one who will lead the scorers table, with Pulisic (9.5M – MID), Havertz (8.5M – MID), Ziyech (8.5M – MID) to carry a heavy workload as well. The defense looks strong with the addition of Chillwell (5.5M – DEF) on the left, and we expect them to get many more clean sheets with Silva (5.5M – MID) protecting the defensive midfield.
The stars – Chelsea
- Timo Werner (10.0M – FOR): Werner is coming in as a high-praised scoring machine, impressing everyone with his last year’s performance. As a newcomer to the Premier League, we should hold a small basket and give him some time until he ramps up his production, the same way as his teammate Pulisic (9.5M – MID) did last season.
- Cesar Azpilicueta (6.5M – DEF): Azpilicueta is the star of Chelsea’s defense. His attacking talents helped him score 2 goals and dish 6 assists last season, and in 20/21 we expect him to do even better. With a more experienced and improved defense, we should see many clean sheets to be added on top, making Azpilicueta one of the best defenders in the game.
Players to watch – Chelsea
- Kai Havertz (8.5M – MID): Everyone’s excited for the German newcomer. Havertz is as impressive as it gets, and we should expect him to shine with Chelsea for years to come. The question is, should we draft him on our fantasy teams, or shall we wait to see how it goes? We lean towards the latter…
- Christian Pulisic (9.5M – MID): If we were writing this piece a month ago, we would say that Pulisic will be the star and the playmaker of the team this year. With all the transfer activity, though, we don’t know where Pulisic fits in exactly and what his workload will be this year. Expect him to do well at least in the beginning – his 9.5M price might be worth for a cheaper elite player.
- Hakim Ziyech (8.5M – MID): Another impressive signing from Chelsea. Ziyech is very talented with the ball on his feet and has a great vision of the game. Playing for Ajax, he had a solid contribution in both goals and assists, and he should do the same down the road for Chelsea as well. The 8.5M price tag is just too risky to invest in at the moment – we’d better keep an eye on him for the future.
Key takeaways: Chelsea Fantasy preview
High anticipation, great future, unsure present. Chelsea will be a totally new team this year. There’s no doubt they now have the talent to lead the pack. However, they will need their time to get things going and become as steady as they need to. The defense will to a lot better this season, holding the fortress for this super-talented offense to do their work. Don’t be very optimistic for Chelsea early on, but transfer for Chelsea players down the road as they find their chemistry and form.Play now
I hope you liked the Fanteam Premier League 1M: Chelsea Fantasy preview. Leave your comments below and don´t forget to hit that like button.