The Premier League Fantasy Review of GW2 is here! The Season game is now underway, with Gameweek 2 already in the books. In this Fanteam Premier League 1M: Gameweek 2Review article we will talk about what we learned from watching the matches, and why now is still a great time to sign up for the contest.
In a glance: Gameweek 2 Review
With 44 goals across 10 matches, three games with 7 goals each and 17 out of the 20 teams scoring, Gameweek 2 was one to remember!
The weekend started off with a couple matches where we didn’t expect much, but Everton and Leeds were red hot, scoring 5 and 4 goals respectively, giving huge fantasy scores to the offensive lines of both teams. Later on Saturday we had two more exciting matches, with Manchester United being stunned by Crystal Palace and Arsenal getting a big win at home.
Sunday was at least as impressive, with Spurs getting a 2-5 away win, Brighton and Liverpool getting big clean wins on the road. It ended with Leicester giving a night show with 4-2 over Burnley.
We also had two matches on Monday, where Aston Villa kicked it off with a close win, and Manchester City did their duty over Wolves with 1-3 in a high-quality match.
Late Registration: The value of coming in now
The Premier League Fantasy Review of GW2 shows that managers who register now will not have a disadvantage. In contrast, we see our top managers putting up most of their teams in Late Registration. Why is that?
First of all, starting with 89 points will get you 110 points away from the 1st place and only 46 points away from the paid positions (5659th). In this really long season, these differences are close to nothing; you can cover them even in a couple good gameweeks.
The season is long and the information we got from the first games is significant.
Results in Gameweek 2
Goals (Fantasy Assist)
Everton 5-2 West Brom
G.Diangana (M.Pereira), D.Calvert-Lewin, J.Rodriguez (Richarlison), M.Pereira, M.Keane (Richarlison), D.Calvert-Lewin (Richarlison), D.Calvert-Lewin (J.Rodriguez)
Leeds 4-3 Fulham
H.Costa, A.Mitrovic (J.Bryan), M.Klich (P.Bamford), P.Bamford (M.Klich), H.Costa (P.Bamford), B.Reid (A.Anguissa), A.Mitrovic (K.Tete)
Manchester United 1-3 Crystal Palace
A.Townsend (J.Schlupp), W.Zaha (J.Ayew), D.van de Beek, W.Zaha
Arsenal 2-1 West Ham
A.Lacazette (P.Aubameyang), M.Antonio (R.Fredericks), E.Nketiah (D.Ceballos)
Southampton 2-5 Spurs
D.Ings (K.Walker-Peters), H.Son (H.Kane), H.Son (H.Kane), H.Son (H.Kane), H.Son (H.Kane), H.Kane (E.Lamela), D.Ings (M.Djenepo)
Newcastle 0-3 Brighton
N.Maupay (T.Lamptey), N.Maupay (L.Trossard), A.Connolly (N.Maupay)
Chelsea 0-2 Liverpool
S.Mane (R.Firmino), S.Mane
Leicester 4-2 Burnley
C.Wood (C.Taylor), H.Barnes (T.Castagne), E.Pieters OG (T.Castagne), J.Justin (A.Perez), J.Dunne (D.McNeil), D.Praet (H.Barnes)
Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United
E.Konsa (T. Mings)
Wolves 1-3 Manchester City
K.De Bruyne, P.Foden (R.Sterling), R.Jimenez (D.Podence), G.Jesus (K.De Bruyne)
Premier League Fantasy Review of GW2: Players that stood out
Let’s start our Fanteam Premier League 1M: Gameweek 2 Review with the best players of the past match day.
- Heung-Min Son (10.1M – MID): What an outstanding performance from the Spurs star. With 4 goals he was the best player of the week. (24 Fantasy Points)
- Harry Kane (11.1M – FOR): He had an amazing match alongside his teammate, Son. He gave out all 4 assists and he also scored the 5th goal. (19 Fantasy Points)
- Dominic Calvert – Lewin (8.1M – FOR): The Everton striker seems to be in really good form, scoring a hat-trick against West Brom. (15 Fantasy Points)
- Neal Maupay (6.5M – FOR): He bunched back from GW1 and with 2 goals and 1 assist he gave his team the important win at Newcastle. (15 Fantasy Points)
- Sadio Mane (12.0M – MID): Last week Mane was on our disappointments list, but this week with 2 goals against Chelsea he gave his team the win. (15 Fantasy Points)
- Helder Costa (6.0M – MID): The midfielder of Leeds stood out as he scored twice against Fulham. (14 Fantasy Points)
- Wilfried Zaha (6.5M – Crystal Palace): Second week in a row with a great performance. Zaha seems in really good shape. This week he shocked Manchester United with 2 goals and the win with 1-3 at Old Trafford. (14 Fantasy Points)
Best Goalkeepers of Gameweek 2
- Alisson (6.0M – Liverpool): He was the best goalkeeper of this week. Alison saved a penalty and made 2 saves. He also kept the clean sheet over a great offensive team, Chelsea. (13 Fantasy Points)
- Emiliano Martinez (4.5M – Aston Villa): He made a perfect first game with his new team. He saved a penalty and kept a clean sheet. (12 Fantasy Points)
Best Defenders of Gameweek 2
- Ezri Konsa (4.5M – Aston Villa): Aston Villa kept the clean sheet. He scored the only goal of the game and he gave his team the important win over Sheffield United. (13 Fantasy Points)
- Tyrone Mings (4.5M – Aston Villa): He gave the assist of the goal and he got the clean sheet. (10 Fantasy Points)
- T. Castagne (5.1M – Leicester): He didn’t keep the clean sheet, but once again Castagne played a huge impact on the offense. With 2 assists he helped his team take the win over Burnley. (8 Fantasy Points)
- J. Justin (5.0M – Leicester): His team conceded two goals so he didn’t get the clean sheet. But the Leicester’s defender scored a goal and he proved (again) that he is playing a huge role in the offense. (8 Fantasy Points)
- T. Lamptey (4.5M – Brighton): He was substituted at the 58th minute and he didn’t get the clean sheet from Brighton’s defense. But he played amazingly in the first half and he was definitely the best player in the game. He contributed to both goals of his team in the first half; he gave an assist to the 2nd goal of N.Maupay (6.5M – FOR), and he started the play of the first goal. (5 Fantasy Points)
Best Midfielders of Gameweek 2
- Heung-Min Son (10.1M – Spurs): He bunched back after the bad first week and he scored 4 goals! (24 Fantasy Points)
- Sadio Mane (12.0M – Liverpool): He scored 2 goals and he got the extra points of playing the whole match and the clean sheet. (15 Fantasy Points)
- Helder Costa (6.0M – Leeds): He scored 2 goals and he stepped up to cover for his absence of P. Hernadez (6.5M – MID). (14 Fantasy Points)
- W. Zaha (6.5M – Crystal Palace): The new season has started really well for the star of Crystal Palace. This week he scored 2 goals against Manchester United. (14 Fantasy Points)
- Kevin De Bruyne (12.5M – Manchester City): The star of the Citizens won and scored a penalty, and also he gave the assist of the last goal. The highest-priced player of the game is up to a promising start. (12 Fantasy Points)
Best Forwards of Gameweek 2
- Harry Kane (11.1M – Spurs): He bounced back from the bad first week with the great cooperation with Heung-Min Son (10.1M – MID) he gave 4 assists and he scored a goal. He was the best forward of the GW2. (19 Fantasy Points)
- Dominic Calvert-Lewin (8.1M – Everton): He scored a hat-trick against West Brom and he is in really good form. (15 Fantasy Points)
- Neal Maupay (6.5M – Brighton): After a bad first gameweek, this gameweek came back strong and he scored 2 goals and he gave an assist. (15 Fantasy Points)
- Patrick Bamford (6.6M – Leeds): The striker of newcomer Leeds is on fire. Bamford with 1 goal and 2 assists is fighting hard to keep his position over the new star Rodrigo (6.5M – FOR). (13 Fantasy Points)
- Richarlison (8.6M – Everton): He dished out 3 assists this gameweek and he proves that he can cooperate well with James Rodriguez (7.1M – MID) and Dominic Calvert-Lewin (8.1M – FOR). (13 Fantasy Points)
- Danny Ings (8.5M – Southampton): Even if his team took a big loss by the Spurs, he managed to score twice. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Aleksandar Mitrovic (6.5M – Fulham): In fIrst gameweek Mitrovic wasn’t in the starting line-up and everyone was disappointed. But this week he started and he scored 2 goals. (9 Fantasy Points)
Premier League Fantasy Review of GW2 – Who impressed us most?
Let’s continue our Fanteam Premier League 1M: Gameweek 2 Review with the surprises.
What a bounce-back for Mourinho’s team. In GW2 the Spurs managed to win big over Southampton after the disappointing loss from Everton in the GW1.
- Heung-Min Son (10.1M – MID): He absolutely nailed it this week. Son with an amazing performance scored 4 goals and he was the best player of the week. (24 Fantasy Points)
- Harry Kein (11.1M – FOR): The star of Tottenham had an amazing statistic of 4 assists to Heung-Min Son (10.1M – MID). He also scored a goal and he was the best forward of the week. (19 Fantasy Points)
Second week in a row of Crystal Palace being impressive. With 1-3 in the Old Trafford, they got the big win against Manchester United. Crystal Palace was better prepared for the match and Wilfred Zaha (6.5M – MID) was the best player of the match. He scored 2 goals (1 penalty) and he gave his team the win. Also, Andros Townsend (5.1M – MID), after he gave the important assist in the first game of the season, this gameweek he scored a goal.
We expected Everton to play defensively and take their time to build up chemistry across their new stars, but they think otherwise. The team was a scoring machine in GW2, scoring early and often against the West Brom defense. Their offense was balanced, with Calvert-Lewin (8.1M – FOR), Richarlison (8.6M – FOR) and Rodriguez (7.1M – MID) sharing the big fantasy points.
The first match of Aston Villa was good. They took the win over a hard opponent in Sheffield United. The newcomer goalkeeper Emiliano Martinez (4.5M – GK) saveda penalty and the pair of the defenders combined for a goal from Ezri Konsa (4.5M – DEF) and assist from Tyrone Mings (4.5M – DEF).
Once again Leeds was really good in offense and their match was really open for a lot of goals. This gameweek they won over Fulham with a 4-3 score.
- Helder Costa (6.0M – Leeds): He scored 2 goals and he stepped up to cover for his absence of P.Hernadez (6.5M – MID). (14 Fantasy Points)
- Patrick Bamford (6.6M – Leeds): He scored a goal and he gave 2 assists. (13 Fantasy Points)
After a good appearance in the first week against Chelsea (even if they lost), Brighton visited Newcastle and got a big win with 0-3. The defense of Brighton was great and they didn’t let Newcastle have a single opportunity for a goal.
- Neal Maupay (6.5M – Brighton): The striker of Brighton was outstanding and this gameweek came back strong and scored 2 goals and he also gave an assist. (15 Fantasy Points)
Top disappointments of Gameweek 2
Lastly, our Fanteam Premier League 1M: Gameweek 1 Review will talk about the biggest disappointments for fantasy managers.
Everyone expected a good start for Manchester United, but they didn’t play well and they lost from Crystal Palace 1-3 in Old Trafford. Wilfred Zaha (6.5M – MID) punished with 2 goals (one penalty) the poor defence of Mancester. The 3 stars of Manchester’s offense Bruno Fernades (11.0M – MID), Antony Martial (10.5M – FOR) and Marcus Rashford (10.0M – FOR) didn’t find a way to have an impact in the game.
Once again the defense of West Brom was really poor. They had a tough game against Everton and they lost 5-2. So far seems to be the weakest team in the league. They have to toughen up their defense if they want to stay.
Sheffield United didn’t start this season well. Second loss in a row, this weekend from Aston Villa.
- John Egan (5.0M – DEF): The center-back of Sheffield let down his team. After a pull on Aston Villa’s striker Ollie Watkins (6.0M – FOR) he got a red card. He left his team playing with 10 players in the 12th minute.
John Lundstram (5.5M – MID): The midfielder missed a penalty kick for giving his team the lead in the score.
This gameweek Newcastle was in very bad form. They lost from Brighton 0-3 at their home and Brighton was completely dominating. They didn’t make any good opportunities for goals and their defense had some serious problems. Brighton right-back Tariq Lamptey (4.5M – DEF) was impressive, as he revealed all the defensive weaknesses of Newcastle.
Drafting your team for Gameweek 3
Knowing all the above, if you draft your team now you are guaranteed to avoid the mistakes everyone made in Gameweeks 1 and 2. You can start by investing in the value players that stood out, without needing to play your wildcard. Learn more about Why it is BETTER to start playing FanTeam in Gameweek 2.
Fanteam Premier League 1M: Price Changes
Create your team and win €200,000 for 1st place!
The €1,000,000 prize pool is guaranteed – this means, regardless of whether the cash league fills or no, we will pay out the entire €1M prize pool winnings, as advertised. To make things even more exciting, we’re paying out winnings to the top 5500 finishers.Join now