The Fanteam Premier League 1M Season game is underway, with eight Gameweeks already in the books. In this Gameweek 8 review article, we will talk about what we learned from watching the matches, which teams and players stood out, and which of them were disappointing.
Gameweek 8 in a glance
This gameweek we had some games with many goals, but most of the matches had low scores. We had 24 goals across 10 matches, and 13 out of the 20 teams scoring! In 6 out of 10 matches we had 2 or fewer goals.
The weekend started with two matches on Friday. Brighton hosted Burnley in a no-goal draw and Southampton got the victory against Newcastle with a 2-0 score.
Saturday started with Everton hosting Manchester United. The Red Devils turned the match around and won with a 1-3 score. Bruno Fernandes had a fantastic match, he scored twice and he provided an assist. In the evening, Crystal Palace had a great match against Leeds and won with a huge 4-1 score. Chelsea had an easy afternoon against Sheffield United. They played well and managed to get the win with 4-1. In the last game of the day, West Ham managed to get the close win against Fulham with a 1-0 score. Fulham missed the opportunity to take the draw after a missed penalty kick in the additional time of the second half.
We had four matches on Sunday. Spurs had a tough match against West Brom but found the way to score with Harry Kane in the 88th minute and take the win. Leicester took the win against Wolves with a 1-0 score thanks to Jamie Vardy. In one of the most exciting matches of the year, Manchester City hosted Liverpool. The two contenders for the championship left the match with a 1-1 draw. The last match of this gameweek had the biggest surprise. Aston Villa destroyed Arsenal in the Emirates with a 0-3 score.
Results in Gameweek 8
Goals (Fantasy Assist)
Brighton 0-0 Burnley
Southampton 2-0 Newcastle
C.Adams (T.Walcott), S.Armstrong
Everton 1-3 Manchester United
Bernard, B.Fernandes (L.Shaw), B.Fernandes (M.Rashford), E.Cavani (B.Fernandes)
Crystal Palace 4-1 Leeds
S.Dann (E.Eze), E.Eze, P.Bamford (M.Klich), H.Costa OG (P.Aanholt), J.Ayew (W.Zaha)
Chelsea 4-1 Sheffield United
D.McGoldrick (S.Berge), T.Abraham (M.Kovacic), B.Chilwell (H.Ziyech), T.Silva (H.Ziyech), T.Werner (N.Kante)
West Ham 1-0 Fulham
West Brom 0-1 Spurs
Leicester 1-0 Wolves
Manchester City 1-1 Liverpool
M.Salah (S.Mane), G.Jesus (K.De Bruyne)
Arsenal 0-3 Aston Villa
B.Saka OG (M.Targett), O.Watkins (R.Barkley), O.Watkins (J.Grealish)
GW8 Review: Players that stood out
- Bruno Fernandes (11.0M – MID): The talented midfielder of Manchester United was amazing. He stood out for his team and with 2 goals and 1 assist he helped Red Devils to return to victories. He was the best fantasy player of the week. (16 Fantasy Points)
- Lukasz Fabianski (4.5M – GK): The goalkeeper of West Ham was the reason for the win of the team. He saved a penalty kick before the match ended and gave his team the win and the clean sheet. (13 Fantasy Points)
- Ollie Watkins (6.2M – FOR): The talented striker shocked Arsenal. He scored twice and Aston Villa got a huge win against a team of the big 6. (12 Fantasy Points)
- Eberechi Eze (5.0M – MID): The midfielder of Crystal Palace returned to the starting line-up and made a great appearance. He scored a fantastic goal with a free-kick and he provided a beautiful assist also from a free-kick. (12 Fantasy Points)
Best Goalkeepers of Gameweek 8
- Lukasz Fabianski (4.5M – West Ham): With a penalty save and a clean sheet he is the best goalkeeper of this gameweek. (13 Fantasy Points)
- Alex McCarthy (4.5M – Southampton): The goalkeeper of the Saints had 2 saves and the clean sheet. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Hugo Lloris (5.0M – Spurs): He kept the clean sheet with 2 saves. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Kasper Schmeichel (5.0M – Leicester): The experienced goalkeeper had 2 saves and a clean sheet. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Emiliano Martinez (4.6M – Aston Villa): He saved 2 times his team from conceding a goal and he got the clean sheet. (8 Fantasy Points)
Best Defenders of Gameweek 8
- Matt Doherty (6.1M – Spurs): He provided a great assist to Harry Kane (11.3M – FOR) and he got the clean sheet. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Matt Targett (4.5M – Aston Villa): He got a fantasy assist after a nice cross. He also got the clean sheet. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Thiago Silva (5.5M – Chelsea): The center-back of Chelsea scored a goal with a nice header. (9 Fantasy Points)
- Ben Chilwell (5.6M – Chelsea): He scored a nice goal by a beautiful assist from Hakim Ziyeck (8.2M – MID). (9 Fantasy Points)
- Scott Dann (4.5M – Crystal Palace): He scored the first goal of his team with a nice header. (9 Fantasy Points)
Best Midfielders of Gameweek 8
- Bruno Fernandes (11.0M – MID): He was the best player of this GW8 with 2 goals and 1 assist. (16 Fantasy Points)
- Eberechi Eze (5.0M – Crystal Palace): He scored a goal from a free-kick and he provided an assist. (12 Fantasy Points)
- Hakim Ziyech (8.2M – Chelsea): He provided 2 beautiful assists with long-crosses (10 Fantasy Points)
- Stuart Armstrong (5.9M – Southampton): He played the whole match, scored a goal and he got the extra point of the clean sheet. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Tomas Soucek (4.5M – West Ham): He scored the only goal of the match giving his team the important win against Fulham. (10 Fantasy Points)
Best Forwards of Gameweek 8
- Ollie Watkins (6.2M – Aston Villa): He scored 2 goals against Arsenal. He was the best forward of the gameweek. (12 Fantasy Points)
- Harry Kane (11.3M – Spurs): He found the way to score once again. The popular striker scored an important goal in the 88th minute and gave Spurs the win against West Brom. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Che Adams (5.8M – Southampton): Adams stepped up in Danny Ings’ absence, and he scored a goal helping his team get the win against Newcastle. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Tammy Abraham (7.7M – Chelsea): He played the whole match and he scored a goal. (8 Fantasy Points)
Who impressed us the most in Gameweek 8
The Villans returned to victories with a huge 0-3 win against Arsenal in the Emirates. After the two big losses in the last matches, everyone believed Aston Villa was just a shooting star, but they proved everyone wrong! Ollie Watkins (6.2M – FOR) scored twice with perfect finishes. Ross Barkley (5.6M – MID) and Jack Grealish (6.9M – MID) provided the two assists. The defender Matt Targett (4.5M – DEF) got a fantasy assist after a perfect cross that Saka made the mistake to score an own goal.
The Blues played really well and found the way to an easy win against Sheffield United. They conceded a goal in the 9th minute but they managed to turn the match around in just 25’ minutes. Hakim Ziyech (8.2M – MID) had a really good game with 2 beautiful assists. The first was to Ben Chilwell (5.6M – DEF) and the second one to Thiago Silva (5.5M – DEF). Also, both strikers Tammy Abraham (7.7M – FOR) and Timo Werner (9.9M – FOR) scored a goal.
The team from London had a perfect match against Leeds. They won with the big 4-1 score. That was a good win for Crystal Palace, against a team that is tough and could beat anyone. Eberechi Eze (5.0M – MID) had a standout match. He gave a nice assist to Scott Dann (4.5M – DEF) from a free-kick and then he scored a fantastic goal with a free-kick
The season hasn’t started well for Manchester United and they have their ups and downs, but the Red Devils got an important victory this weekend. In a tough away match against Everton, they managed to return to victories. Thanks to Bruno Fernandes (11.0M – MID), Manchester turned the match around. He scored twice and he gave the assist to third, making the best fantasy score in GW8.
Top disappointments of Gameweek 8
What a terrible night for Arsenal… After the important win against Manchester United in GW7 they suffered a big loss from Aston Villa in the Emirates with a 0-3 score. They were bad on both ends. Their defense was bad, but their offense was just absent. They didn’t threaten the opponent’s defense at all.
Everton played one more match without their star Richarlison (8.2M – FOR). They got their 3rd loss in a row against Manchester United with a 1-3 score. Even though they got the early lead, Everton couldn’t hold the score in their favor. They gave space to Bruno Fernandes and he punished them.
This weekend, Wolves played at Leicester and lost with a 1-0 score. Leicester was much better and Wolves couldn’t threaten them. The Wolves defense committed two penalties and Jamie Vardy (10.7M – FOR) scored the first and he gave the win to the Foxes. Max Kilman (4.2M – DEF) and Rayan Ait Nouri (4.5M – DEF) were the players that caused the penalties.
The young midfielder Ademola Lookman (5.0M – MID) disappointed his team. He missed a penalty-kick before the end of the match and he didn’t give his team the point of the draw. The disappointment was not only the fact that he missed the penalty but the way he did! Lookman tried to get fancy with a Panenka kick, which turned very badly! Fantasy owners of Aleksandar Mitrovic (6.2M – FOR) should be disappointed with the lost chance right now, but this miss probably means that the Serbian will become the go-to guy once again.
Before you go…
If you are new to FanTeam or have yet to make your first deposit…This offer is exclusively available to you!
Simply register for your free account by clicking the banner below. When you deposit €20 and place a €20 bet on the SportsBook, you’ll get €20 back, as cash, straight in to your FanTeam account.
The €20 is paid in cash – not free bets or any other hidden, sneaky wager-required traps – simply deposit €20, place a €20 bet on the SportsBook and receive €20 in cash, for you to withdraw or play with.