In this article GW14 Statistical Analysis, we will present the key facts and statistics of the Fanteam 1M PL Season game from the previous weekend.
Gameweek 14: Team scores
This round was absolutely crazy for Premier League Fantasy! Most of the stars scored 10+ fantasy points, and the popular teams scored at will – boosting fantasy teams’ scores to unprecedented heights. It’s worth mentioning that in the previous Gameweek, the top team scored 80 points, while in this one more than 7,500 teams overcame that score!
The average score was the largest we’ve witnessed this year, and 75% more than last week’s.
Here are some key numbers about the graph above:
- Best team of Gameweek 14: 123.5 points
- Average Score of Gameweek 14: 70.4 points
- Top 10% threshold for Gameweek 14: 91 points
- Top 25% threshold for Gameweek 14: 82 points
Gameweek 14: Top players
Let’s see below how some key players performed this week. The X-axis on the chart visualizes the player’s price, while the Y-axis the points scored on Gameweek 14. The size of the bubble shows how popular each player is. The top-left quadrant is where the best picks of the week lie (cheap and high-scoring), while on the bottom-right we find the underachievers (expensive and low-scoring).
Naturally, players are more spread out in the chart compared to previous weeks, as we saw a much larger variance in scores. Most of the stars did pretty well, with some exceptions from some top scorers like Kane and Son.
Top fantasy scorers for Gameweek 14
- Scott McTominay (5.1M – MID): 17 Fantasy Points – 12 teams (0.05%)
- Bruno Fernandes (11.3M – MID): 16 Fantasy Points – 12.450 teams (49.6%)
- Mohamed Salah (12.5M – MID): 15 Fantasy Points – 10101 teams (40.24%)
- Anwar El Ghazi (5.1M – MID): 15 Fantasy Points – 53 teams (0.21%)
- Roberto Firmino (8.5M – FWD): 14 Fantasy Points – 703 teams (2.8%)
Gameweek 14: How teams lined up
Top captains for Gameweek 14
Bruno Fernandes was the most popular captain this week, with around ¼ of the managers choosing him. Mohamed Salah was next with 18.4% and Kevin De Bruyne dropped 3rd with 15.9%, because of the toughness of the match he had. Harry Kane was picked by 11.7% as captain, even though he was playing a challenging match against Leicester.
The picks of Fernandes and Salah were the winning ones this week. They made crazy performances with 16 and 15 fantasy points.
Top transfers before Gameweek 14
In a season-long game like this, one of the biggest factors of each team is the transfers they make and which players are bought or sold over the season.
Below we have listed the 5 most popular purchases and sells for the week:
Most Purchased Players before Gameweek 14
- Harry Kane (11.3M – FWD): 894 teams (3.56%)
- Pedro Neto (5.6M – MID): 871 teams (3.47%)
- Jack Grealish (7.1M – MID): 601 teams (2.39%)
- Callum Wilson (6.8M – FWD): 569 teams (2.27%)
- Robert Sanchez (4.0M – GK): 565 teams (2.25%)
Most Sold Players before Gameweek 14
- Jamie Vardy (10.8M – FWD): 1,277 teams (5.09%)
- James Rodriguez (7.0M – MID): 861 teams (3.43%)
- Diogo Jota (6.7M – FWD): 694 teams (2.76%)
- Arthur Masuaku (4.3M – DEF): 453 teams (1.8%)
- Timo Werner (9.9M – FWD): 427 teams (1.7%)
Transfers overview for Gameweek 14
Another important part of the game’s strategy is how managers spend their transfers. Choosing to pay a -4p penalty to change a player is a risky move, but is often important to tackle the matchups or save up enough funds for a key transfer.
Once again, most of the managers choose to not make a transfer and save them for the next gameweek, the always-special Boxing Day. The close timeframe to make changes after the Midweek games might have affected the transfers as well, both because of fewer injuries and events happening in two days, and because some managers may have missed the deadlines.
Gameweek 14: Wildcards used
Wildcards are used to “reset” your team, allowing unlimited transfers to be made for a single Gameweek. Each team has two wildcards available, one in the first half of the season, and one for the second half.
We are starting to witness a pattern in the Wildcards, with fewer and fewer being used each week. On Gameweek 14, only 0.4% of the teams used their Round 1 Wildcard.
This means that 65% of the teams are now waiting for the new Wildcard after Gameweek 19. Around ⅓ of the field have their wildcard still available though, probably aiming to use it in the blank & double gameweek sequence on GWs 18-19.
Wrapping up: Standings after Gameweek 14
Below you will see a distribution of the team standings so far. For charting purposes, we’ve hidden the very low scores (below 580p) that represent ~1.7% of the sample.
The huge scores of this week changed the landscape more than usual. We now have the top seven teams in 4-digit scores!
- 56% of the teams are in the very close window of 730-850 points
- 4.2% of the teams score above 910 points
- More than 20% of the teams are now below 730 points in total
- The average total score across the competition now stands at 789.5 points
I hope you enjoyed the 1M PL Season game – GW14 Statistical Analysis! If you enjoy statistics and want to find even more insights, read Fanteam 1M PL Season game – Weekly Statistical analysis – The road so far (GW8).