The Fanteam Premier League 1M Season game is underway, with 15 gameweeks already in the books. In this Gameweek 15 review article, we will talk about what we learned from watching the matches, which teams and players stood out, and which of them were disappointing.
Gameweek 15 in a glance
This gameweek was special with the popular ‘’Boxing Day’’ of Premier League action the next day of Christmas. We had 6 games on Saturday and 4 games on Sunday. Many of them were matches with unexpected results. With only 23 goals across 10 matches, it was a relatively dry Gameweek! In 6 out of 10 matches we saw 3 or fewer goals.
The weekend started with six matches on Saturday. The first match was a great appetizer for Boxing Day with Leicester against Manchester United. The game was really fun to watch and Leicester managed to get the draw with a 2-2 score. Fulham and Southampton settled with a 0-0 draw, while Aston Villa won Crystal Palace with a 3-0 score. In the evening, Arsenal hosted Chelsea in a classic Premier League derby. Arsenal surprised everyone and won the Blues with a 3-1 score. Manchester City made the job done with an easy win against Newcastle with a 2-0 score and Everton managed to overcome the close game against Sheffield United with a 0-1 score.
We had four matches on Sunday. Leeds got an important win against Burnley with a 1-0 score. West Ham hosted Brighton for a high score game and no winner. West Ham equaled the score twice for the final 2-2 score. Liverpool had a poor performance against West Brom. The newcomers played solid defense and didn’t let Liverpool score a second goal and a late goal gave them the 1-1 draw. In the final match of this gameweek Wolves hosted the Spurs. Tottenham scored a goal in the first minute of the match, but they didn’t create good opportunities for a second goal. Wolves found a goal in the 86th minute and took the draw with a 1-1 score.
Results in Gameweek 15
Goals (Fantasy Assist)
Leicester 2-2 Manchester United
Rashford (Fernandes), Barnes (Maddison), Fernandes (Cavani), Tuanzebe OG (Vardy)
Fulham 0-0 Southampton
Aston Villa 3-0 Crystal Palace
Traore (Watkins), Hause (Watkins), El Ghazi (Watkins)
Arsenal 3-1 Chelsea
Lacazette (Tierney), Xhaka (Saka), Saka (Smirt Rowe)
Sheffield United 0-1 Everton
Manchester City 2-0 Newcastle
Gundogan (Sterling), Torres
Leeds 1-0 Burnley
West Ham 2-2 Brighton
Maupay, Johnson (Lanzini), Dunk (March), Soucek (Cresswell)
Liverpool 1-1 West Brom
Mane (Matip), Ayayi (Pereira)
Wolves 1-1 Spurs
Ndombele (Davies), Saiss (Neto)
GW15 Review: Players that stood out
Best Goalkeepers of Gameweek 15
- Emiliano Martinez (4.6M – Aston Villa): He had a great match with 6 saves against Crystal Palace and got the 8th clean sheet of the season. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Illan Meslier (4.4M – Leeds): Once again the young goalkeeper made many saves. He had 6 keeper saves and kept the clean sheet against Burnley. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Bernd Leno (4.9M – Arsenal): The goalkeeper of Arsenal had a penalty save and only one save against Chelsea. (8.5 Fantasy Points)
- Ederson (5.8M – Manchester City): He had 2 saves in the win against Newcastle. (8 Fantasy Points)
Best Defenders of Gameweek 15
- Kortney Hause (4.1M – Aston Villa): The center-back of Villa scored and with the clean sheet he was the best defender of this gameweek. (13 Fantasy Points)
- Semi Ajayi (4.3M – West Brom): He scored with a header after a corner-kick against Liverpool and gave West Brom the unexpected draw. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Romain Saiss (4.9M – Wolves): The defender of Wolves scored with a nice header after a corner-kick by Pedro Neto (5.7M – MID) in the 86th minute. He equaled the score against Spurs and gave his team the draw (8 Fantasy Points)
- The players of Aston Villa, Manchester City, Everton, and Leeds got a clean sheet with a win and most of them got 7 Fantasy Points
Best Midfielders of Gameweek 15
- Bukayo Saka (6.8M – Arsenal): Incredible game by the young player. He scored an amazing goal, but also got a fantasy assist. (12 Fantasy Points)
- Bruno Fernandes (11.2M – Manchester United): He gave an assist and he scored a goal against Leicester. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Gylfi Sigurdsson (6.5M – Everton): He scored the only goal of the match against Sheffield United and Everton got a really important win. (10 Fantasy Points)
Best Forwards of Gameweek 15
- Ollie Watkins (6.2M – Aston Villa): He was by far the best forward this gameweek. He provided 3 assists against Crystal Palace. (13 Fantasy Points)
- Patrick Bamford (7.0M – Leeds): He won a penalty from the opponent goalkeeper and scored the penalty. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Marcus Rashford (10.1M – Manchester United): He scored the first goal of the match after the nice assist of Bruno Fernandes. (7 Fantasy Points)
- Alexandre Lacazette (8.0M – Arsenal): He scored with a penalty kick and gave Arsenal the lead against Chelsea. (7 Fantasy Points)
Who impressed us the most in Gameweek 15
The Gunners were really bad this season, but they bounced back against Chelsea on Boxing Day and won with a 3-1 score! They lined-up with a strange set of players and with many young players. Kieran Tierney (4.7M – DEF) won a penalty and Alexandre Lacazette (8.0M – FWD) scored. Bukayo Saka (6.8M – MID) was great and scored a beautiful goal, but also won the free-kick that Granit Xhaka (5.0M – MID) turned into the second goal of the team. The offense of the team finally had a good game, but also the defense was excellent for 85’ minutes. In the last minutes of the match, the defense made some mistakes, but the extended lead of Arsenal was really hard to be turned around.
Once again Aston Villa had a great match. They got a second win in a row this time against Crystal Palace with a 3-0 score. Their defense is among the best of the league and in 13 matches they have 8 clean sheets. Ollie Watkins (6.2M – FWD) was amazing with all 3 assists. Bertrand Traore (5.6M – MID) scored a goal with a beautiful shot in the 5th minute. Tyrone Mings (4.7M – DEF) was unable to hold his temper and received a red card in the 41st minute. Kortney Hause (4.1M – DEF) extended the lead with a header, and Anwar El Ghazi (5.2M – MID) scored the 3rd goal for his team. The most impressive about Aston Villa is that with 10-players they managed to score two more goals and not concede any.
The newcomers were really tough and took advantage of the bad day of the Reds. West Brom was the first team that forced Liverpool to lose points in Anfield. They conceded a goal from Mane in the 12th minute but after that Liverpool didn’t have many opportunities to score. West Brom scored with Semi Ajayi’s (4.3M – DEF) header after a nice cross from Matheus Pereira (5.9M – MID) in the 82nd minute.
The popular midfielder of Manchester United is continuing to impress us. This weekend against Leicester he had a great match once again. He had a goal and an assist in the 2 goals of his team and he was the best player on his team. He has scored 10 goals and has given 7 assists in 14 matches.
Top disappointments of Gameweek 15
The Reds hosted the weak West Brom and lost points for the first time in Anfield. The offense scored a goal in the 12th minute, but they didn’t create good opportunities for more goals. Joel Matip (5.1M – DEF) was really unlucky and injured in the 57th minute but he provided the assist of the goal to Sadio Mane (11.9M – MID). The absence of him caused Liverpool to conceded a goal with a header. Mohamed Salah (12.5M – MID) gathered only 3 fantasy points and was a big disappointment for the managers that trusted him.
What a terrible match for the Blues. No one expected them to lose to this year’s Arsenal. The line-up of Arsenal was pretty unexpected and Chelsea wasn’t too much focused. Reece James (5.1M – DEF) committed a penalty and Arsenal took the lead. Before the end of the first half, they conceded a second goal from a free-kick. Timo Werner (9.9M – FWD) was substituted after the first half and disappointed the owners of him. Finally, before the additional time of the second half Jorginho (5.3M – MID) missed a penalty kick.
This is the 4th straight game without a win for the Spurs. They took the lead in the 1st minute of the game, but they couldn’t extend the lead against Wolves. Harry Kane (11.4M – FWD) has three matches without a goal or assist and his teammate Heung-Min Son (10.5M – MID) two.
After the 7-0 loss by Liverpool, they didn’t bounce back against Aston Villa and lost with a 3-0 score. The defense of the team was really bad and left their goalkeeper exposed. He had to make 7 saves!!