The Fanteam Premier League 1M Season game is underway, with 16 gameweeks already in the books. In this Gameweek 16 review article, we will talk about what we learned from watching the matches, which teams and players stood out, and which of them were disappointing.
Gameweek 16 in a glance
This gameweek was really unfortunate with two matches being postponed due to the pandemic. Manchester City and Fulham had many positive tests for Covid-19 and their games against Everton and Spurs were postponed. We only had 8 games and almost every game ended with low scores and many teams didn’t score. More specifically, 7 out of 8 games finished with 2 or fewer goals, and only 8 out of 16 teams scored.
This gameweek started with two matches on Monday. Crystal Palace hosted Leicester in a match where the Foxes managed to equal the score and get the draw with a 1-1 score. Chelsea couldn’t overcome the tough Aston Villa and their match also ended with a 1-1 score.
On Tuesday we had 5 matches. Arsenal managed to win the close match at Brighton, thanks to Lacazette’s goal with a 0-1 score. The match with the most goals was Leeds against West Brom. Leeds made a great performance and won with the huge 0-5 score. Burnley won an important match against Sheffield United with a 1-0 score, while Southampton and West Ham couldn’t score and stayed at a 0-0 score. In the last game of the day, Manchester United won against Wolves with a late goal of Rashford and moved up to 2nd place in the championship.
The last match of this gameweek was on Wednesday, with Newcastle hosting Liverpool in a scoreless match. The Reds weren’t efficient and couldn’t score against a weak defense.
Results in Gameweek 16
Goals (Fantasy Assist)
Crystal Palace 1-1 Leicester
Zaha (Townsend), Barnes (Evans)
Chelsea 1-1 Aston Villa
Giroud (Chilwell), El Ghazi (Cash)
Brighton 0-1 Arsenal
West Brom 0-5 Leeds
Sawyers OG, Alioski (Bamford), Harrison (Bamford), Rodrigo (Klich), Raphinha (Dallas)
Burnley 1-0 Sheffield United
Southampton 0-0 West Ham
Manchester United 1-0 Wolves
Newcastle 0-0 Liverpool
GW16 Review: Players that stood out
Best Goalkeepers of Gameweek 16
- David de Gea (5.2M – Manchester United): He saved his team multiple times from the nice shots of Wolves. He managed to have 5 saves and the clean sheet. (9.5 Fantasy Points)
- Bernd Leno (4.9M – Arsenal): The goalkeeper of Arsenal had 2 saves in the tricky match against Brighton. (8. Fantasy Points)
- Nice Pope (5.1M – Burnley): He had 2 saves in the win against Sheffield United. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Karl Darlow (4.4M – Newcastle): He made 4 saves against Liverpool and didn’t concede a goal by the leading team in the championship. (8 Fantasy Points)
Best Defenders of Gameweek 16
- Ben Mee (4.6M – Burnley): The center-back of Burnley scored his first goal of the season and with the clean sheet he was the best defender of this gameweek. (13 Fantasy Points)
- Ezgjan Alioski (4.5M – Leeds): He scored his second goal in the league with a beautiful shot against West Brom and got a clean sheet. (12 Fantasy Points)
- Stuart Dallas (4.8M – Leeds): He got the clean sheet and an assist to the last goal of his team. (10 Fantasy Points)
- The players of Arsenal, Burnley, Leeds, and Manchester United got a clean sheet with a win and most of them got 7 Fantasy Points
Best Midfielders of Gameweek 16
- Jack Harrison (6.0M – Leeds): He scored his 3rd goal of the season with a nice move and was the best midfielder of this gameweek. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Raphinha (5.5M – Leeds): He scored a goal with a nice long-range shot. (9 Fantasy Points)
- Robbie Brady (5.2M – Burnley): He provided the assist of the only goal with a nice corner-kick. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Wilfried Zaha (7.0M – Crystal Palace): He returned to goals after 4 matches he made without a goal or an assist. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Harvey Barnes (7.5M – Leicester): Second gameweek in a row with a goal for the midfielder of Leicester. (8 Fantasy Points)
Best Forwards of Gameweek 16
- Patrick Bamford (7.1M – Leeds): The star of the team contributed with 2 assists in the easy win against West Brom and was the best forward of this gameweek. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Rodrigo (5.8M – Leeds): He scored his 3rd goal of the season against West Brom. (7 Fantasy Points)
- Marcus Rashford (10.1M – Manchester United): He scored the only goal of the match after the assist of Bruno Fernandes. (7 Fantasy Points)
- Alexandre Lacazette (8.0M – Arsenal): He wasn’t in the starting line-up but when he was substituted in, he scored a goal immediately! (6 Fantasy Points)
Who impressed us the most in Gameweek 16
They were outstanding against West Brom. The matchup between the two newcomer teams was too far from a close one. Leeds won with a 0-5 score. Ezgjan Alioski (4.5M – DEF) scored a goal with a beautiful shot and his fellow defender Stuart Dallas (4.8M – DEF) provided an assist. The striker of the team Patrick Bamford (7.1M – FWD) gave two assists, while the midfielders Jack Harrison (6.0M – MID) and Raphinha (5.5M – MID) were great and both of them scored a goal.
The Villa continued their unbeaten streak against Chelsea. They conceded a goal after 4 matches, but they managed to get a 1-1 draw in Chelsea’s stadium. Anwar El Ghazi (5.2M – MID) scored the goal of Aston Villa and his 4th personal in 3 consecutive matches.
They played a really important match against Sheffield United. The two teams have the same goals for this season and Burnley won the close match-up. The defense was good and Sheffield didn’t find many opportunities to score.
The Gunners got their second consecutive win. They played a tricky match-up against Brighton, but they managed to score with Alexandre Lacazette (8.0M – FWD) in the second half right after he substituted in. Bernd Leno (4.9M – GK) saved his team two times from conceding a goal.
Top disappointments of Gameweek 16
The biggest disappointment of this gameweek were the two matches that were postponed. Manchester City – Everton and Spurs – Fulham. Many popular fantasy players didn’t get the opportunity to play and this affected all the managers. However, events like these create interesting dynamics with double Gameweeks, where fantasy teams can maneuver to score many points.
The newcomer team was really bad against Leeds. Romaine Sawyers (4.5M – MID) scored a hilarious own goal and gave to the opponent the lead. The defense was all over the place and West Brom conceded 5 goals. That was their 10th loss in 16 matches.
The defender champions had a poor performance against Newcastle and didn’t win. They couldn’t find the way to unlock Newcastle’s defense. The superstar of the team, Mohamed Salah (12.5M – MID), didn’t score or give an assist for the second match in a row.
This gameweek’s matches didn’t have many goals. We had two matches with no goals and three matches with only one goal. Also, we had two matches with two goals and only one match with many goals.
The striker of Leicester Kelechi Iheanacho (5.5M – FWD) was in the starting line-up in order to give some rest to Jamie Vardy (10.9M – FWD), but he was really bad. He missed a penalty kick and a lot of good chances for a goal. Eventually, he got replaced by Vardy, but he didn’t have enough time to save the day.