The Fanteam Premier League 1M Season game is underway, with 17 gameweeks already in the books. In this Gameweek 17 review article, we will talk about what we learned from watching the matches, which teams and players stood out, and which of them were disappointing.
Gameweek 17 in a glance
In this gameweek, we had many interesting matches. For a second gameweek in a row, we had a postponed match. Fulham had many Covid-19 issues and couldn’t play against Burnley. We had 27 goals across 9 matches, and 13 out of 18 teams scoring! In four matches we had 4 or more goals.
The weekend started with two matches on Friday the first day of the new year. Everton hosted West Ham in a match without many chances for goals. West Ham found a late-goal and took a big away win with a 0-1 score. Manchester United played a tough match-up against Aston Villa, but with a penalty-kick by Fernandes took back the lead with a 2-1 score and moved up into 2nd place.
We had four matches on Saturday. Spurs were great against Leeds and took the win with a 3-0 score and the duo of Son-Kane returning to the good performances. Crystal Palace had an easy match against Sheffield United and returned to the wins with a 2-0 score. Brighton hosted Wolves in a high scoring game. Both teams were great on offense and each team scored 3 goals in a game without a winner. In the last match of the day, Arsenal visited West Brom and won for the 3rd match in a row. The Gunners scored 4 goals and didn’t concede any.
We had two matches on Sunday. Leicester visited Newcastle and was a lot better. They got the win with a 1-2 score and returned to victories. In the most exciting match of this gameweek, Chelsea hosted Manchester City. The Citizens destroyed the Blues and scored 3 goals in the first half. City won Chelsea with a 1-3 score and continued their winning streak.
The last match of this gameweek was on Monday, with Southampton hosting Liverpool. The Saints found a goal with Ings in the 2nd minute of the match, but the Reds couldn’t find a way to score. Liverpool stayed without a win for the 3rd consecutive match.
Results in Gameweek 17
Goals (Fantasy Assist)
Everton 0-1 West Ham
Manchester United 2-1 Aston Villa
Martial (Wan-Bissaka), Traore (Grealish), Fernandes (Pogba)
Spurs 3-0 Leeds
Kane (Bergwijn), Son (Kane), Son (Alderweireld)
Crystal Palace 2-0 Sheffield United
Schlupp (Benteke), Eze (McArthur)
Brighton 3-3 Wolves
Connolly (Trossard), Saiss (Semedo), Burn OG (Neto), Neves (Traore), Dunk (Trossard)
West Brom 0-4 Arsenal
Tierney (Holding), Saka (Smith Rowe), Lacazette (Smith Rowe), Lacazette (Tierney)
Newcastle 1-2 Leicester
Maddison (Vardy), Tielemans (Albrighton), Carroll
Chelsea 1-3 Manchester City
Gundogan (Foden), Foden (De Bruyne), De Bruyne (Sterling), Hudson-Odoi (Havertz)
Southampton 1-0 Liverpool
GW17 Review: Players that stood out
Best Goalkeepers of Gameweek 17
- Hugo Lloris (5.1M – Spurs): The Spurs goalkeeper made 5 saves in order to keep the clean sheet against Leeds. (9.5 Fantasy Points)
- Bernd Leno (4.9M – Arsenal): He made 3 saves in the easy win at West Brom. (8.5 Fantasy Points)
- Vicente Guaita (4.5M – Crystal Palace): He was needed two times from preventing Sheffield to score. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Darren Randolph (4.0M – West Ham): He started for the first time this season because Lukasz Fabianski (4.7M – GK) had an injury before the game. (8 Fantasy Points)
Best Defenders of Gameweek 17
- Kieran Tierney (4.7M – Arsenal): Extraordinary match from the left-back of Arsenal. He scored a goal with a beautiful move and provided an assist. He also got the clean sheet and was the best player of the week. (16 Fantasy Points)
- Toby Alderweireld (5.0M – Spurs): The center-back scored his first goal of the season with a header after a corner-kick. He also got a clean sheet against an offensive team (Leeds). (13 Fantasy Points)
- Rob Holding (4.5M – Arsenal): He got the clean sheet and a fantasy assist in the first goal of Arsenal. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Aaron Cresswell (5.1M – West Ham): The defender of West Ham got an assist to the only goal of his team. He also got the clean sheet against Everton. (10 Fantasy Points)
- The players of West Ham, Spurs, Crystal Palace, Arsenal, and Southampton got a clean sheet with a win and most of them got 7 Fantasy Points
Best Midfielders of Gameweek 17
- Heung-Min Son (10.5M – Spurs): The popular midfielder made a really good appearance with a goal and an assist. (13 Fantasy Points)
- Kevin De Bruyne (12.0M – Manchester City): He led his team into victory with a goal and an assist against Chelsea. (12 Fantasy Points)
- Phil Foden (7.5M – Manchester City): Outstanding performance by Foden with a goal and an assist. (12 Fantasy Points)
- Tomas Soucek (4.9M – West Ham): He scored the only goal of the match and gave West Ham a tough win against Everton. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Emile Smith Rowe (4.5M – Arsenal): The young midfielder gave 2 assists against West Brom and continues to impress with his performances. (10 Fantasy Points)
Best Forwards of Gameweek 17
- Alexandre Lacazette (8.0M – Arsenal): He scored for the 3rd match in a row, but this gameweek he scored twice against West Brom. He was the best forward player. (12 Fantasy Points)
- Harry Kane (11.4M – Spurs): The duo of Kane-Son returned to their good performances. The superstar striker scored a goal and gave Spurs the lead and then he provided an assist to Son. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Antony Martial (9.5M – Manchester United): He scored his second goal of this season after a beautiful cross from Wan-Bissaka (5.7M – DEF). (8 Fantasy Points)
Who impressed us the most in Gameweek 17
The Citizens were dealing with Covid-19 cases in some important players of the team, but they managed to play against Chelsea and get a big win. The offense was great and scored 3 goals in the first half and destroyed Chelsea. Phil Foden (7.5M – MID) had an outstanding match with a goal and an assist. The star of the team, Kevin De Bruyne (12.0M – MID) had also a great match with a goal and an assist.
They had some bad results in the last 4 games but bounced back against Leeds. The duo of Harry Kane (11.4M – FWD) and Heung-Min Son (10.5M – MID) returned to their good performances. Spurs played really well against the newcomers and got the win with a 3-0 score.
The Gunners got their third consecutive win. They played an easy match-up against West Brom, and they managed to score 4 goals with Alexandre Lacazette (8.0M – FWD) scoring twice in the second half. The best player for Arsenal was Kieran Tierney (4.7M – DEF), who made an outstanding performance by scoring a beautiful goal and also providing an assist.
The Red Devils played a ticky match against Aston Villa. A tough team that many good teams couldn’t beat. Manchester United is impressive in the last matches and won Aston Villa with a 2-1 score. They haven’t lost in the last 10 matches in Premier League. Bruno Fernandes (11.4M – MID) is great in the last four matches with a total of 41 fantasy points.
The Saints returned to the wins after 4 games. They managed to win Liverpool! Southampton moved to 6th place in the championship and having a great season so far. Their defense is great with only 19 goals against and every opponent is struggling to score against them.
Top disappointments of Gameweek 17
For a second gameweek in a row, we had a postponed match. Fulham couldn’t line up a squad due to their Covid-19 issues again and therefore couldn’t play against Burnley. Fulham is now 2 matches behind and will be playing catch-up during the season.
The Reds are on a negative streak. This was their 3rd match without a win and they scored only once in these last 3 matches. It’s been a long time since we’ve last seen Liverpool’s offence be that inefficient.
The Blues didn’t play well against City. The defense was terrible, and Manchester City scored 3 goals in the first half. Chelsea defeated for the 4th time in the last 6 matches and continued without a win for 3rd match.
The newcomer team was really bad once again. In this gameweek, they struggled a lot against Arsenal and conceded 4 goals. This was the 5th loss in the last 7 games. The offense is one of the worst in the league with only 11 goals.
The Blades got their 3rd consecutive loss without scoring a goal. They are the worst team in the league by far. In 17 matches, Sheffield has 15 losses and 2 draws, but also has the worst offense in the league with only 8 goals! If they keep performing like that, Sheffield has a real chance of being the worst Premier League team of all time…
Dan Burn (Brighton)
Burn had a terrible fantasy weekend! The defender of Brighton got the unbelievable -5 points! His team conceded 3 goals. He scored an own goal, received a yellow card, caused a penalty but also a negative impact because he was substituted before Brighton equal the score.