The Fanteam Premier League 1M Season game is underway, with 20 gameweeks already in the books. In this review article, we will talk about what we learned from watching the matches, which teams and players stood out, and which of them were disappointing.
The statistical analysis will be released soon, in the meanwhile check Fanteam 1M PL Season game – GW18-19 Mega-Statistical Analysis.
Gameweek 20 in a glance
The first gameweek of the second round has started! In this gameweek 20, we had many goals. Across 10 matches we had 31 goals and 15 out 20 teams scoring. This exciting gameweek started with 4 matches on Tuesday. Leeds visited Newcastle and took the win with a 1-2 score, leaving Newcastle without a win for the 9th time in a row. At the same time, Crystal Palace hosted West Ham in a game with many goals. The Hammers managed to win with a 2-3 score. Manchester City had an easy 5-0 win against West Brom and in the last match of the day, Arsenal got an important victory at Southampton with a 1-3 score.
We had five games on Wednesday. In the first match-up, Burnley played against Aston Villa. Both teams found many goals and Burnley was the big winner with a 3-2 score. Chelsea hosted the Wolves in the debut match of their new head coach Thomas Tuchel. The new era of Tuchel with the Blues didn’t start with a victory after the 0-0 draw. Brighton couldn’t be efficient against Fulham and neither of the teams scored. Everton played a difficult match against Leicester. The Foxes even though without their star Vardy got the 1-1 draw. The biggest surprise of this gameweek came from Sheffield United! The Blades got a magnificent win against Manchester United with a 1-2 score.
The last match-up of this mid-week round was the derby between Spurs and Liverpool. The Reds bounced back after their bad lastest results and won Spurs with a 1-3 score. Sadio Mane and Alexander-Arnold were the best players for Liverpool. Harry Kane was unlucky and got injured for the Spurs and couldn’t participate in the second half.
Results in Gameweek 20
Newcastle 1-2 Leeds
Raphinha (Rodrigo), Almiron (Wilson), Harrison (Raphinha)
Crystal Palace 2-3 West Ham
Zaha (Benteke), Soucek (Antonio), Soucek (Cresswell), Dawson (Bowen), Batshuayi (Ayew)
West Brom 0-5 Manchester City
Gundogan (Cancelo), Cancelo (Silva), Gundogan, Mahrez (Sterling), Sterling (Mahrez)
Southampton 1-3 Arsenal
Armstrong (Ward-Prowse), Pepe (Xhaka), Saka (Lacazette), Lacazette (Saka)
Chelsea 0-0 Wolves
Burnley 3-2 Aston Villa
Watkins (Targett), Mee (Westwood), Grealish (Luiz), McNeil (Pieters), Wood (McNeil)
Brighton 0-0 Fulham
Everton 1-1 Leicester
Rodriguez, Tielemans (Barnes)
Manchester United 1-2 Sheffield United
Bryan (Fleck), Maguire (Telles), Burke (Lundstram)
Spurs 1-3 Liverpool
Firmino (Mane), Alexander-Arnold (Mane), Hojbjerg (Bergwijn), Mane (Alexander-Arnold)
GW20 Review: Players that stood out
Best Goalkeepers of Gameweek 20
- Rui Patricio (4.8M – Wolves): The goalkeeper of the Wolves had a great match against Chelsea and made 5 saves. He didn’t let his team concede a goal and gave Wolves the draw. (8.5 Fantasy Points)
- Alphonse Areola (4.5M – Fulham): Areola saved Fulham 5 times from conceding a goal. He had a great match and stopped every shot from Brighton. (8.5 Fantasy Points)
- Ederson (5.7M – Manchester City): He got an easy clean sheet against West Brom with one keeper save. (7.5 Fantasy Points)
Best Defenders of Gameweek 20
- Joao Cancelo (5.2M – Manchester City): The defender of the Citizens was amazing against West Brom. He provided the first assist of the match and then scored the second goal of his team. He also got the clean sheet and gather the most points in this gameweek. (16 Fantasy Points)
- Trent Alexander-Arnold (6.3M – Liverpool): The popular defender is struggling so far this season, but this gameweek was excellent. He scored his first goal of the season and also provided a beautiful assist. (12 Fantasy Points)
- Craig Dawson (4.4M – West Ham): He scored the 3rd goal of his team and extended the lead for West Ham with a nice header after a corner-kick. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Ben Mee (4.7M – Burnley): The center-back scored with a nice header and equaled the score (1-1) for Burnley. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Kean Bryan (4.0M – Sheffield United): He scored his first goal of the season with a nice header after a corner-kick from John Fleck (5.3M – MID). (8 Fantasy Points)
Best Midfielders of Gameweek 20
- Sadio Mane (11.6M – Liverpool): What a great performance against the Spurs! Mane took part in every goal of his team with a goal and two assists. (15 Fantasy Points)
- Tomas Soucek (5.2M – West Ham): The defensive midfielder has an exceptional season so far and this gameweek’s game was one of the greatest for him. He scored two goals and turned the match around for West Ham. (14 Fantasy Points)
- Riyad Mahrez (9.0M – Manchester City): He scored a goal after nine gameweeks without a goal. Mahrez also provided an assist to Sterling for the 5th goal of the team. He had scored a hat-trick in gameweek 10 and then he didn’t make good matches. (13 Fantasy Points)
- Raheem Sterling (7.5M – Manchester City): The popular midfielder had a good match against West Brom with a goal and an assist to Mahrez. He was quiet during the first half but stood out in the second one along with his teammate Mahrez. (13 Fantasy Points)
Best Forwards of Gameweek 20
- Alexandre Lacazette (8.1M – Arsenal): He was the best forward of this gameweek. Lacazette scored a goal and provided an amazing assist. He has stepped up and helped Arsenal to recover from the bad start of the season. (11 Fantasy Points)
- Chris Wood (6.1M – Burnley): The striker of the team scored the third goal of his team and final goal of the match and gave Burnley the lead and the win. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Roberto Firmino (8.4M – Liverpool): The striker of Liverpool scored the first goal of the match and gave his team the lead against the Spurs. Firmino scored his 6th personal goal of the season. (7 Fantasy Points)
Who impressed us the most in Gameweek 20
The Citizens will not have their star Kevin De Bruyne for at least one month. Manchester City had an easy match-up against West Brom and won them with the huge 0-5 score. Ilkay Gundogan (5.7M – MID) was outstanding once again with two goals, but also Joao Cancelo (5.2M – DEF) with a goal and an assist. Riyad Mahrez (9.0M – MID) and Raheem Sterling (10.9M – MID) cooperated really well in the second half. The two of them scored a goal and gave the assist to each other.
The defender champions bounced back against Spurs and got an away win with a 1-3 score. They put an end to their bad streak of five games without a win. Sadio Mane (11.6M – MID) stood out for the Reds and made an amazing performance with two assists and a goal. Trent Alexander-Arnold (6.3M – DEF) had his best match of the season. He scored his first goal and provided a nice assist to Mane. Roberto Firmino (8.4M – FWD)
The Blades made the biggest surprise of this gameweek and forced Manchester United in their first loss after 13 matches. Sheffield took the lead in the first half thanks to a goal of Kean Bryan (4.0M – DEF) after the corner kick by John Fleck (5.3M – MID). The Red Devils equaled the score in the second half, but the Blades took the lead again after 10 minutes. Oliver Burke (4.0M – MID) was substituted in and after 4 minutes scored a goal.
What an outstanding match by Burnley! The Clarets conceded two goals and found themselves losing twice from Aston Villa. Ben Mee (4.7M – DEF) was the first that equaled the score with a nice header into 1-1 score. Dwight McNeil (5.6M – MID) stood out after the second goal of the opponent and with a goal and also provided a beautiful assist to Chris Wood’s (6.1 – FWD) nice header. Nick Pope (5.1M – GK) was one of the best of the team. He conceded two goals but also saved 8 difficult shots and prevented Aston Villa from scoring more goals.
The Hammers got an amazing away win against Crystal Palace with 2-3 score. West Ham turned the match around after the goal they conceded in the 3rd minute of the match. Tomas Soucek (5.2M – MID) made an outstanding performance with two goals. He reached 7 goals so far and broke his previous personal best record of 6 goals in a single season.
The team from London conceded a goal in the 4th minute of the match but in just 4 minutes they managed to equal the score with Nicolas Pepe (6.7M – MID). Bukayo Saka (7.0M – MID) with Alexandre Lacazette (8.1M – FWD) were the top performers for Arsenal. The two of them worked excellently together and scored and assisted each other.
Top disappointments of Gameweek 20
Kane / Spurs
The striker of the team was really unlucky and was injured during the first half against Liverpool. He only played the first half and wasn’t able to gather any fantasy points. Spurs suffered a loss from the Reds.
The Red Devils suffered a loss in their own stadium by the last team of the championship. Sheffield United with only one win in 19 games forced Manchester United into their first loss after 13 undefeated matches. Bruno Fernandes (11.4M – MID) finished this gameweek with only 2 fantasy points!
The newcomer team once again was nowhere to be found. West Brom had a terrible match against Manchester City and lost with the high 0-5 score. The defense was bad and let the Citizens score five goals even without their best player Kevin De Bruyne.
The Blues couldn’t score and couldn’t win once again. The debut match of their new head coach wasn’t the greatest and the next gameweek is crucial for Chelsea. Thomas Tuchel needs to find a way to make their offense work. Timo Werner (9.3M – FWD) didn’t play at all while Mason Mount and Christan Pulisic left outside the starting line-up.
Pick’em Jackpot – go for the big payday!
The concept of Pick’em Jackpot is easy as it can get: Pick as many correct outcomes as possible from the coupon that usually contains 13 matches and 1 jackpot match. You will collect money prizes if you predict the correct outcome of 10, 11, 12 or 13 matches. If you predict the correct scoreline in the jackpot match in addition to having predicted all 13 outcomes correctly, you win the jackpot!