The Fanteam Premier League 1M Season game is underway, with 23 gameweeks already in the books. In this Gameweek review article, we will talk about what we learned from watching the matches, which teams and players stood out, and which of them were disappointing.
Gameweek 23 in a glance
This gameweek we had many exciting matches and most of them didn’t have a clear favorite. We had a total of 26 goals across 10 games, and 13 out of 20 teams scoring. Also, in 3 out of 10 matches we had more than 5 goals!
This gameweek started with five matches on Saturday. In the opener match, Aston Villa hosted Arsenal in a pretty close game, where the Villans got the win with a 1-0 score. Burnley played against Brighton with a final 1-1 draw. At the same time, Newcastle competed against Southampton in a match with many goals! Willock and Minamino scored in their debut match with their new teams, but Newcastle managed to win with a 3-2 score. Fulham played against West Ham in a tough match without a goal. The final match of the day was amazing between Manchester United and Everton. The Red Devils got a big lead with two goals but the Toffees returned and equaled the match. Manchester United gained the lead again but in the last minutes of the match, Everton scored and took the point from the crazy 3-3 draw.
We had four games on Sunday with the big derby between Liverpool and Manchester City to dominate everyone’s attention. The first surprise of the day was the return of Harry Kane in the starting line-up for the Spurs. The superstar returned and Mourinho’s team got the victory with a 2-0 score against West Brom. Wolves hosted Leicester in a match where both of the teams focused on defense and no one could score. One of the biggest derbies in the fight for the championship is between Liverpool and Manchester City. The Citizens got an amazing win in Anfield against Liverpool with a huge 1-4 score, leaving the Reds 10 points behind in the standings. Chelsea visited Sheffield United and got the win with a 1-2 score. That was the third consecutive win for the Blues.
The last match of the gameweek 23rd was on Monday between Leeds and Crystal Palace. Leeds outplayed Palace and won them with a 2-0 score. Crystal Palace was playing without Zaha and the look of the team was terrible without him. We can say that Leeds ‘’stopped’’ playing after the two-goals lead and kept their strengths for the next demanding matches.
Results in Gameweek 23
Aston Villa 1-0 Arsenal
Burnley 1-1 Brighton
Dunk (Gross), Gudmundsson (Pieters)
Newcastle 3-2 Southampton
Willock (Saint-Maximin), Almiron (Saint-Maximin), Minamino (Bertrand), Almiron, Ward-Prowse (Adams)
Fulham 0-0 West Ham
Manchester United 3-3 Everton
Cavani (Rashford), Fernandes (Wan-Bissaka), Doucoure (Calvert-Lewin), Rodriguez (Doucoure), McTominay (Shaw), Calvert-Lewin (Keane)
Spurs 2-0 West Brom
Kane (Hojbjerg), Son (Moura)
Wolves 0-0 Leicester
Liverpool 1-4 Manchester City
Gundogan (Foden), Salah, Gundogan (Foden), Sterling (Silva), Foden (Jesus)
Sheffield United 1-2 Chelsea
Mount (Werner), Rudiger OG (Burke), Jorginho (Werner)
Leeds 2-0 Crystal Palace
Harrison (Dallas), Bamford (Raphinha)
GW23 Review: Players that stood out
Best Goalkeepers of Gameweek 23
- Emiliano Martinez (4.8M – Aston Villa): Martinez once again was great and helped Aston Villa keep the clean sheet against Arsenal. He made 3 difficult saves. (8.5 Fantasy Points)
- Illan Meslier (4.4M – Leeds): He made three easy saves for the clean sheet against Crystal Palace. (8.5 Fantasy Points)
- Hugo Lloris (5.1M – Spurs): The experienced goalkeeper had an easy night against West Brom. He got the clean sheet with one keeper saves. (7.5 Fantasy Points)
- Rui Patricio (5.1M – Wolves): He had three saves against Leicester to keep the clean sheet. (7.5 Fantasy Points)
Best Defenders of Gameweek 23
- Stuart Dallas (4.8M – Leeds): The talented defender was really good once again and provided an assist against Crystal Palace. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Lewis Dunk (4.5M – Brighton): He scored with a header after a corner-kick. (8 Fantasy Points)
- The players of Aston Villa, Spurs, and Leeds got a clean sheet with a win and most of them got 7 Fantasy Points.
Best Midfielders of Gameweek 23
- Phil Foden (7.6M – Manchester City): The young midfielder of the Citizens was amazing against Liverpool. He took part in three out of four goals of his team with a goal and two assists. (15 Fantasy Points)
- Miguel Almiron (5.8M – Newcastle): What a performance from Almiron! The midfielder of Newcastle scored two goals and led his team to the win. (14 Fantasy Points)
- Ilkay Gundogan (6.1M – Manchester City): The midfielder of the Citizens is having a great year. He missed a penalty kick to open the score against Liverpool, but then he scored two goals and gave his team the lead two times. (12 Fantasy Points)
- Jack Harrison (6.0M – Leeds): The talented midfielder scored a goal with a nice shot. He missed a great opportunity for a second goal but his shot end-up in the cross-bar. (10 Fantasy Points)
Best Forwards of Gameweek 23
- Dominic Calvert-Lewin (8.3M – Everton): Calvert-Lewin made a really good game and scored a goal in the last minute of the match for the draw against Manchester United. He also got an assist to the first goal of his team. (10 Fantasy Points)
- Timo Werner (9.3M – Chelsea): The popular striker seems to find his form again and find a way to help Chelsea in the offense. He had a great game against Sheffield United and provided an assist to Mount. He also won a penalty kick and got the second -fantasy- assist. (9 Fantasy Points)
- Ollie Watkins (6.4M – Aston Villa): Watkins scored the only goal of the match against Arsenal and reached the 10 goals in the season. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Harry Kane (11.4M – Spurs): He wasn’t expected to be playing this gameweek, but the superstar striker came-back from his injury, and helped his team win the match against West Brom. Kane scored the first goal of his team and lead his team to victory. (8 Fantasy Points)
- Patrick Bamford (7.1M – Leeds): The striker of Leeds scored his 100th career goal and the 12th of the season against Crystal Palace. (8 Fantasy Points)
Who impressed us the most in Gameweek 23
The Citizens had a historic visit to Anfield. Manchester City destroyed Liverpool with a 1-4 score and also a missed penalty kick. Ilkay Gundogan (6.1M – MID) missed the penalty, but then he scored two times to redeem himself. Phil Foden (7.6M – MID) had an extraordinary match with a goal and two assists and Raheem Sterling (10.9M – MID) was very good with a goal. Sterling won the penalty kick, but the missed penalty from Gundogan didn’t give him the fantasy assist. Manchester City gained a 5-point lead from Manchester United and a 10-point lead from Liverpool.
Aston Villa is one of the teams that has impressed everyone so far. The Villans managed to get the close win against Arsenal thanks to a goal from Ollie Watkins (6.4M – FWD). Bertrand Traore (5.6M – MID) continues to have great games and provide energy in the offense. Traore gave the assist of the goal. Emiliano Martinez (4.8M – GK) bounced back from his previous poor performance and helped Aston Villa keep the clean sheet with some really difficult saves.
The Blues got their 3rd consecutive win and their new coach Thomas Tuchel remains unbeaten. Timo Werner (9.3M – FWD) looks a lot better in the last two matches. He provided two assists against Sheffield United and was the best player on the team. Mason Mount (6.8M – MID) scored a beautiful goal, and his teammate Jorginho (5.5M – MID) scored with the penalty kick.
Harry Kane (11.4M – FWD) came out of nowhere in the starting line-up for Spurs. The popular striker returned from his injury end helped his team get a win after three losses in a row. He scored a goal and led his team to victory. Heung-Min Son (10.6M – MID) scored the second goal of the team and put an end to a five-game streak without a goal.
Top disappointments of Gameweek 23
The Reds are continuing to disappoint everyone with their results. In this gameweek, Liverpool was poor on defense against Manchester City, and the Citizens took advantage of every weakness. They conceded 4 goals and also committed a penalty. The lack of defenders is very serious for Liverpool.
The Gunners suffered a second loss in a row this gameweek. Arsenal wasn’t efficient in the offense and couldn’t score against Aston Villa. The defense wasn’t good and let the opponents have plenty of shots in Arsenal’s target.
After the big loss from Manchester United, the Saints didn’t bounce back against Newcastle. The defense was poor and conceded 3 goals. Southampton has five consecutive losses and only one win in the last ten matches.
The Eagles had a really poor performance against Leeds on Monday night. Crystal Palace was forced to play without their star Wilfried Zaha (7.1M – MID) due to an injury, and without him, the team is struggling a lot. After the two goals that they conceded the team stopped trying to pressure the opponent and try to find a goal. Crystal Palace just gave-up and for the rest of the match every focused on keeping their strengths.
Pick’em Jackpot – go for the big payday!
The concept of Pick’em Jackpot is easy as it can get: Pick as many correct outcomes as possible from the coupon that usually contains 13 matches and 1 jackpot match. You will collect money prizes if you predict the correct outcome of 10, 11, 12 or 13 matches. If you predict the correct scoreline in the jackpot match in addition to having predicted all 13 outcomes correctly, you win the jackpot!