The Fanteam Premier League 1M Season game is underway, with 26 gameweeks already in the books. In this Gameweek review article, we will talk about what we learned from watching the matches, which teams and players stood out, and which of them were disappointing.
Gameweek 26 in a glance
This gameweek was the biggest so far with 17 matches! We had a total of 29 goals across the 17 games, and 19 out of 34 teams scoring. Even though there were a lot of matches, it wasn’t so productive and we expected more goals.
This gameweek started with four matches on Saturday the 27th. The opener match was between Manchester City and West Ham, with the Citizens taking the win with a 2-1 score. Later, West Brom won against Brighton with a 1-0 score and kept their hopes for the miracle to stay in the Premier League. Leeds suffered a loss from Aston Villa with a 0-1 score and Newcastle with Wolves stayed at 1-1 draw.
Crystal Palace and Fulham couldn’t find a way to score and the match ended with a 0-0 draw. At the same time, Leicester suffered a loss from Arsenal with a 1-3 score, but also had an important injury on Harvey Barnes. Spurs had a great match against Burnley and beat them with a 4-0 score. Gareth Bale made his best match since his return with two goals and one assist. In the derby of the weekend, Chelsea hosted Manchester United in a scoreless match. The final match of the day was between Sheffield United and Liverpool. The Reds managed to win with a 0-2 score and put an end to a negative streak of four losses.
We had only one match on Monday, with Everton hosting Southampton. The Toffees took an important win with a 1-0 score and Southampton continued their negative streak. Their last win was on gameweek 17th against Liverpool!
Manchester City hosted Wolves on Tuesday and beat them with a 4-1 score. Riyad Mahrez and Gabriel Jesus stood out for the Citizens. We continued with three matches on Wednesday. Sheffield United beat Aston Villa with a 1-0 score and at the same time, Burnley and Leicester had a 1-1 draw. Manchester United visited Crystal Palace, but they couldn’t take the away win and they stayed at a 0-0 draw.
The last matches of this crazy gameweek were on Thursday with three matches. Spurs managed to win against Fulham with a 0-1 score. West Brom couldn’t get anything against Everton and suffered a 0-1 loss. In the last game of this gameweek, Liverpool hosted Chelsea. The Blues thanks to a goal by Mason Mount beat the Reds with a 0-1 score.
Results in Gameweek 26
Manchester City 2-1 West Ham
Dias (De Bruyne), Antonio (Lingard), Stones (Mahrez)
West Brom 1-0 Brighton
Leeds 0-1 Aston Villa
El Ghazi (Watkins)
Newcastle 1-1 Wolves
Lascelles (Fraser), Neves (Neto)
Leicester 1-3 Arsenal
Tielemans, Luiz (Willian), Lacazette (Pepe), Pepe (Willian)
Crystal Palace 0-0 Fulham
Spurs 4-0 Burnley
Bale (Son), Kane (Bale), Moura (Reguilon), Bale (Son)
Chelsea 0-0 Manchester United
Sheffield United 0-2 Liverpool
Jones, Bryan OG (Firmino)
Everton 1-0 Southampton
Manchester City 4-1 Wolves
Dendoncker OG (Mahrez), Coady (Moutinho), Jesus, Mahrez, Jesus (Gundogan)
Sheffield United 1-0 Aston Villa
Burnley 1-1 Leicester
Vydra, Iheanacho (Ndidi)
Crystal Palace 0-0 Manchester United
Fulham 0-1 Spurs
Adarabioyo OG (Alli)
West Brom 0-1 Everton
Liverpool 0-1 Chelsea
GW26 Review: Players that stood out
Best Goalkeepers of Gameweek 26
- Hugo Lloris (5.1M – Spurs): The Spurs goalkeeper made 6 saves and got 2 clean sheets in the wins against Burnley and Fulham. (17 Fantasy Points)
- Jordan Pickford (4.5M – Everton): The experienced goalkeeper had 4 saves and 2 clean sheets in the wins against Southampton and West Brom. (16 Fantasy Points)
- Edouard Mendy (5.0M – Chelsea): The goalkeeper of the Blues had 2 clean sheets. He made 4 saves against Manchester United for the 0-0 draw, and he had 1 save in the away win against Liverpool. (15.5 Fantasy Points)
- Vicente Guaita (4.6M – Crystal Palace): He helped his team get two draws without conceding any goals. He made 5 saves and two clean sheets. (14.5 Fantasy Points)
Best Defenders of Gameweek 26
- Toby Alderweireld (5.0M – Spurs): He was the only defender from Spurs that played both of the matches and got two clean wins. (14 Fantasy Points)
- Kyle Bartley (4.5M – West Brom): Bartley scored a goal against Brighton and gave his team the win. He also got the clean sheet and contributed 13 fantasy points. In his second match, he got 1 fantasy point against Everton. (14 Fantasy Points)
- Three defenders from Everton – Lucas Digne (5.4M), Ben Godfrey (4.5), and Michael Keane (5.0M) – had two wins with a clean sheet and a total of 14 Fantasy Points against Southampton and West Brom
Best Midfielders of Gameweek 26
- Gareth Bale (7.9M – Spurs): The midfielder of Spurs was the best player of this gameweek with an amazing match against Burnley. He scored two goals and provided an assist and gathered 17 fantasy points. He also got 3 more fantasy points against Fulham. (20 Fantasy Points)
- Riyad Mahrez (8.9M – Manchester City): Mahrez finished both of the matches and he had one goal and two assists. (19 Fantasy Points)
- Heung-Min Son (10.6M – Spurs): The star of the Spurs provided two assists to Bale and also got the extra points from the clean sheets and the 90 minutes. (16 Fantasy Points)
Best Forwards of Gameweek 26
- Richarlison (7.3M – Everton): He scored two goals and gave two wins to his team. (15 Fantasy Points)
- Gabriel Jesus (8.6M – Manchester City): In the first match against West Ham he wasn’t in the starting line-up and played only for 29’ minutes, but in the second one was great and scored two goals against Wolves. (14 Fantasy Points)
- Harry Kane (11.5M – Spurs): The superstar of the Spurs scored a goal against Burnley, but in the second one he couldn’t be productive. He finished both of the matches and got the extra points. (12 Fantasy Points)
Who impressed us the most in Gameweek 26
The Toffees had two matches this gameweek against Southampton and West Brom. Everton played defensively in both matches and got two close wins without conceding any goal. Richarlison (7.4M – FWD) scored the two goals of his team and Gylfi Sigurdsson (6.5M – MID) gave both of the assists. The goalkeeper Jordan Pickford (4.5M – GK) and the defense was consistent and tough.
The Citizens had also two matches this gameweek and managed to win both of them. The match-ups were against West Ham and Wolves. The offense of the team was really good and managed to score 6 goals. The defenders, John Stones (5.3M – DEF) and Ruben Dias (5.3M – DEF) stood out against West Ham and scored. In the second match, Riyad Mahrez (8.9M – MID) and Gabriel Jesus (8.6M – FWD) were by far the best players of the Citizens.
The Blues are getting better and better each week, and since the arrival of Tuchel, they are undefeated. This gameweek, they had two matches, with both of them tough. In the first one, they hosted Manchester United and managed to get a 0-0 draw. In the second one, they visited Liverpool and forced them to their 5th straight home game loss.
The Spurs had the need for a bounce-back after the five losses in their six last games. This gameweek had two match-ups where they were the heavy favorites to win. The first match was against Burnley and the Spurs made a really promising performance. Gareth Bale (7.6M – MID) had his best match since his return with two goals and one assist and Heung-Min Son (10.7M – MID) gave him two beautiful assists. In the second game, Spurs got a close win against Fulham. The defense was great and didn’t concede a goal in neither of the matches. Hugo Lloris (5.1M – GK) was the best goalkeeper of this gameweek with 6 saves and two clean sheets.
Top disappointments of Gameweek 26
The Foxes had two match-ups this gameweek, one against Arsenal and a second one against Burnley, but they are continuing to be unlucky with the injuries. In the first game, one of their best players, Harvey Barnes (7.7M – MID) suffered an injury, leaving many fantasy managers with 0 fantasy points in a double game-week! Jamie Vardy (10.6M – FWD) didn’t score or assist and Leicester couldn’t get a win in either of the matches.
Manchester City’s defense
The Citizens with the best defense in the league couldn’t hold the clean sheet in any of the two matches! Most of the managers had at least one defender from City and were disappointed with the results. In both of the matches they were clearly dominating in the field, but they appeared to be greedy and not focused on their defense at times. Their opponents punished them, but their flawless attack gave them the wins.
Raheem Sterling / Manchester City
The midfielder of the Citizens had a double game-week and everyone expected big numbers in fantasy points from him. He didn’t even play in the first match against West Ham, and in the second one, he didn’t score or assist. He gathered only 4 fantasy points in this huge gameweek where he was captained by many managers.
Manchester United’s offense
The Red Devils couldn’t score in two matches, against Chelsea and Crystal Palace! Bruno Fernandes (11.6M – MID) and Marcus Rashford (10.4M – FWD) couldn’t step-up and give a win to their team.
Liverpool and Salah/Mane
The Reds put an end to a negative streak of 4 losses, but after their win against Sheffield United, they suffered their 5th consecutive home loss. Liverpool is dealing with many injury issues and the team can’t find their form. Also, the offense was struggling a lot and their stars Mohamed Salah (12.2M – MID) and Sadio Mane (11.2M – MID) couldn’t score or create opportunities for goals. It has now been more than six hours of playing time where Liverpool hasn’t scored a goal at home, other than a single penalty!